Monday, April 14, 2008

Cup of Limes?

I went to a sports bar one evening and decided to order a nice, cold Bud Light. I know it's more common with Corona or other Mexican beers, but I like the refreshing flavor of light beer with a wedge of lime.

When the bartender came around, I asked if I could get a couple limes - and even made a little squeezing gesture with my fingers. A moment later, I had a rock glass filled to the rim with lime slices. Did she hear me correctly? I only needed a couple limes at most!

After it sunk in it became so funny! She gave me a "cup o' limes" literally - an entire cup! Even today it's worth a good laugh when I ask for lime with beer.

Mojito Cocktails

It just hit the mid-90s in Scottsdale, Arizona so the Mojito is a super light and refreshing mint and lime cocktail for those hot summer days.

What you'll need:

-Limes (roll to release the juices, slice into wedges)
-Fresh Mint Leaves
-Simple Syrup = 1 part sugar, 1 part water (fully dissolved)
-White/Silver Carribean Rum (of your choice)
-Club Soda

In a tall, Collins glass, add the juice from one lime, about 5 mint leaves and 1/2 tsp. sugar. With a muddler, mix until the mint leaves are bruised.

Fill the glass 3/4 full with ice. Add 1.5 oz. white rum, 2 oz. simple syrup and top off with club soda.

Garnish with a wedge of lime and a slice of fresh sugar cane.

HINT!! Prepare a batch of simple syrup in a large water bottle, then mix in the muddled (crushed) mint leaves. Just shake and it's ready to mix for a really fast and flavorful Mojito.

NOTE: If you pre-mix the simple sugar and mint (as mentioned above), simply fill the glass with ice, add rum, add 3 oz. minted simple syrup and top off with soda. Great for quick mixing at parties.

OH, ALSO: Yeah, Baby! The word mojito is derived from the diminutive of the word mojo.[2]

No comments: