Saturday, September 15, 2007

Devilish Eggs

The first "Blonde in the Kitchen" moment I can remember occurred when I was ten or eleven years old. The family was going over to Grandma's house for Thanksgiving dinner and I was making the deviled eggs. I followed the recipe I learned from my childhood and filled each egg cup with the delicious mixture. When it came time for the garnish, I looked through the spice cabinet and found the "red powder" for the tops. They looked great!

Later at Thanksgiving dinner, my Uncle Jake took one bite of my deviled eggs and almost fell out of his chair. They were HOT!!! He said, "What did you put in these?" It was at that moment I learned that I had accidentally sprinkled cayenne pepper on top instead of paprika! At the time, I didn't really know the difference. What?? It was red! Anyway, none were leftover so despite the added heat, the deviled eggs were the first appetizer to disappear!

No comments: