Thursday, May 13, 2010

Cupcake Ice Cream Cone Disaster

My friend Sheri was having a birthday and I wanted to make her something special. I heard that you could cook cupcakes in sugar cones and, when frosted, they look just like ice cream cones. How cute!

So, I prepared a package of Betty Crocker "Funfetti"cupcake batter and carefully filled each sugar cone. They were placed in the oven to bake as directed. About half-way through the cooking time, I peeked in the oven to see how they were doing and I was horrified! I had filled the cones nearly to the top and the batter began spilling over, like little, active volcanos! The hot batter literally melted the cones and made a huge mess. Not good! Here's the before photo - LOL! (I do admit, these were still really tasty despite their appearance.)

Luckilly I had another box of cake mix so I started over, but this time I only filled the cones 2/3 full. They cooked nicely this time, however, they seemed a little "flat." I got the idea to cook a separate batch of "tops" by filling a muffin tin 1/4 full. Using a dab of frosting, I adhered a "top" onto each cone and frosted each one. They turned out awesome; just like ice cream cones! Most importantly, Sheri loved them! Here's the after photo ... much better.

Let my mistakes here be your masterpieces. Hope you try making these sometime - just don't overfill!

No comments: